It is well known that professionalism is the corner-stone of the entire academic circles; however the pursuit to apply quality related principles and standards in the academic education has become one of the most urgent needs for fulfilling proficiency in the field of Higher Education.
Though, many universities are currently seeking self-independence, yet the Ministry of Higher Education does request the administrations of the educational institutions to apply the quality assurance related principles. Thus, these (educational) institutions are subjected to the ministry's constant follow-up and control for the purpose of achieving the inclusive quality principal that is to assure the continuous development of the educational effectiveness since the students, their family members, and the whole society tend to consider the educational process as a consumptive product that abides by the selectivity principle, hence they are anticipating a higher level of quality reaching to the extent of competitiveness.
Therefore, the establishment of the criteria od quality assurance inside the universities and governmental institutions has become a must for guaranteeing the credibility and effectiveness of the educational process in order to present an irrefutable proof that the educational product –the graduate – will be able to achieve competitiveness in the local, regional, and world labor markets.
Thus, the consideration of the quality of education, the enforcement of the related rules, and spread of the principles happen to be a pressing demand and a strategic option for the entire academic systems. On their parts, these educational institutions are – hereby- committed to immediately respond to such demand while stressing on quality as the basic criteria of the educational product bearing in mind the environment of this product.
This demand upholds the orientation and concern for fulfilling a comprehensive quality which has always been the standard that distinguishes the educational institution throughout the whole academic phases in general and the higher academic phases in particular.
It is also worth mentioning that the realities of this era and the challenges the development schemes are encountering inside our educational institutions make it necessary to apply modern methods and approaches for supporting and assuring quality as part of its message in order to benefit from entire modern and useful methods alongside with replacing the academic and applicable frame so as to comply with our environment, culture, values, and orientations, pursing the presentation of distinct educational services for the fulfillment of which, the mentioned institution shall meet the desires and aspirations of the beneficiaries. The higher educational institutions shall increase their capacity to achieve their targets through upgrading the performance level and improvement of the quality of the educational process.
The requirements of challenge and competitiveness in the global markets depend on certain global specifications of quality standards for both production and performance; these standards are considered as the basics of differentiation and professionalism, noting that the fulfillment of quality principles stipulates full compliance with and commitment to these standards, also the confirmation of achieving these essential elements shall be made through creating a system for quality assurance and accreditation. Besides, the application of a system for quality assurance, support and accreditation does enhance and increase the transparency of the higher educational institutions adding to developing the their capability to improve their outputs at both the quantitative and qualitative levels pursuant to the applicable economic, social, and cultural standards and rates in addition to providing them with the instructional guide for upgrading the level and quality of their academic processes and educational services while adding more credibility for the academic certificates and degrees granted by these institutions and ensuring their (the institutions') international recognition and admission turning them into foundations that are capable of facing the internal and external challenges.
First Article: Establishment of Quality Assurance Unit:-
A Quality Assurance Unit is to be established at the Faculty of Engineering - Modern University for Technology & Information (MTI), as part of its pursuit for obtaining the necessary accreditation after obtaining the consent of the faculty board in accordance with the plan adopted by the Ministry of Higher Education for developing the educational process at the Egyptian Universities. The members of this unit shall be carefully selected for achieving the ultimate levels of communications between the unit and the competent authorities responsible for the supervising the educational and research process, in addition, the said unit shall be supported by a group of administrative specialists for contributing to achieve the objectives of the unit.
Second Article: Vision of the Quality Assurance Unit:-
Establishing and adopting the principles of regular self-improvement culture, continuous development, assurance of comprehensive quality via creating a common language for quality, spread awareness among the academic, students', and administrative communities inside the faculty until reaching for the quality assurance, and accreditation, participation at environmental services, and encountering the swift modernity challenges while striving to gain the confidence of the whole community regarding entire outputs of the academic systems on top of which are: graduates, researches, professional and social services in adherence to the national, regional, and international standards.
Third Article: Message of the Quality Assurance Unit:-
Creating and enforcing quality assurance systems at the entire components of the educational processes alongside with providing constant and regular support for the various departments to apply quality assurance criteria on the entire fields in addition to the academic programs in compliance with the national and global standards and in consistence with the message of the faculty so as to be qualified for accreditation as an educational institution that is locally and regionally recognized.
Fourth Article: Strategic Objectives of the Quality Assurance Unit:-
1. Gaining the confidence of the whole Egyptian, international, and regional communities regarding entire academic outputs of the faculty.
2. Establishing the community participation principal among civil society organizations and other educational associations for partaking at controlling and supporting the quality atmosphere.
3. Spreading quality related culture and awareness about the importance of applying the evaluation programs among the teaching staff members, the personnel of the faculty, its several administrative and academic departments.
4. Promoting the values of professionalism and competitiveness in the entire specializations of the faculty.
5. Supporting the comprehensive quality and accreditation process and encouraging the entire academic departments to participate at the fulfillment of accreditation requirements.
6. Supporting the continuous development processes through directing the personnel responsible for various development activities – per each separate field – to cope with the quality levels.
7. Establishing mutual relations with the Quality Assurance and Accreditation Authorities and Organizations at the local, regional, and international levels for the purpose of obtaining the necessary academic accreditation.
8. Building the necessary institutional capacity and supporting the self-studies of the educational institutions.
9. Upgrading the quality level of the outputs of the faculty's activities at both institutional abilities and educational effectiveness levels for obtaining the necessary academic accreditation.
10. Applying entire mechanisms necessary for fulfilling the anticipated effectiveness of the internal audit systems and assuring their continuity.
11. Participating in the environmental services, facing community challenges, and gaining the confidence of the whole community regarding all the outputs of the academic systems on top of which are: graduates, researches, professional and social services in accordance with the national, regional, and international standards.
Fifth Article: Authorities of the Quality Assurance Unit:-
In accordance with the internal regulation adopted by the University's Quality Assurance Center, the Quality Assurance Unit is – hereby – vested with the following authorities:
A) Regarding the Educational Process:-
1. Holding seminars for spreading quality assurance related cultures and concepts.
2. Building the abilities of the quality teams of the faculty with regard to self-estimation, improvement plans, and internal audit systems.
3. Qualifying the leaders and cadres for playing their roles in the process of quality assurance achievement.
4. Following –up the performance of the development plans and the preparation of reports that may help the faculty in the process of document submission to obtain the necessary accreditation while specifying entire deficiencies and methods of resolution.
5. Creating electronic data and information bases for the faculty's human and material resources in order to benefit from them in the process of setting policies, development schemes, and the related mechanisms of update.
B) Regarding Community Service:-
1. Building a supportive, robust, and effective opinion in connection with quality among the local community members.
2. Engaging the individuals of the local community in the self-estimation, analysis, audit, and inspection of the development schemes processes.
3. Investing in the individuals having influential roles in the local community for supporting the execution of reform plans inside the faculty.
4. Searching for various methods for honoring the local community representatives who tend to support the improvement plans.
5. Following –up the community services presented by the faculty while providing the required full support.
C) Regarding the Collaboration with the University's Quality Assurance Center:-
1. Participating at the seminars, training courses, and workshops organized by the University's Quality Assurance Center.
2. Collaborating with the University's Quality Assurance Center in the event of having any trouble or questionnaires in connection with the application of quality standards in the faculty.
3. Detecting the obstacles which the faculty's quality assurance team is facing, and reporting to the University's Quality Assurance Center for the purpose of finding suitable solutions.
4. Readiness for monthly follow-up process performed by the University's Quality Assurance Center.
Sixth Article: Formation of the Quality Assurance Unit Board:-
The board of the Quality Assurance Unit shall be formed by virtue of a decree passed by the faculty Dean after being reviewed by the faculty council so as to be approved by the University Rector. The formation of such board will be as follows:
Firstly: The Chairman of Board of Directors of the Quality Assurance Unit the Faculty Dean.
• Secondly: The Executive Director of the Quality Assurance Unit: Member of Teaching Staff.
• Thirdly: The Unit's Rapporteur: Member of the Assistant Teaching Staff.
• Fourthly: Head of Criteria Departments.
Fifthly: Two non-faculty employees who are dealing with the faculty graduates or those who have previous experience in the field of the quality of education.
The Faculty Dean is to pass a decree that includes the appointment of the executive director of the Faculty's Quality Assurance Unit after obtaining the approval of the faculty council, noting that the said director shall fulfill the fixed requirements and have previous experience in the same field for a term of three renewable years. The mentioned executive director will reserve the right to select/ assign a member of the Teaching Staff as his/her assistant (Deputy Executive Director).
Duties and Obligations of the Executive Director of the Faculty's Quality Assurance Unit:-
The mentioned executive director of the unit shall assume the responsibility of managing entire affairs of the unit of which are the technical and administrative affairs in the light of performing the assigned duties and obligations pursuant to the policies adopted and the decrees passed by the unit's administration. The duties and obligations of the Director include:
1. Formation of the organizational and administrative structure of the unit, selecting teaching staff members experienced in the field of quality application, and specifying the professional duties of the unit's members.
2. Calling for urgent and periodic meetings of the Unit's board.
3. Holding periodic meeting with the Unit's members.
4. Performing entire technical & administrative supervision procedures on the Unit's employees.
5.Following –up the workflow in the Unit so as to take the procedures necessary for keeping its discipline and organization in addition to setting the internal & external appraisal mechanisms.
6. Holding Periodic meetings with the heads of the executive committees at the Quality Assurance Unit of the teaching staff members responsible for representing the faculty's departments in the Unit in order to establish the interim objectives and demonstrating the ability to their achievement.
7. Reviewing the periodic reports of the heads of the executive committees in the Unit.
8. Supervising the presentation of the technical support from the Unit to the faculty's departments within the several phases of development process, setting internal quality system alongside with inspecting the continuity of performance in compliance with the accepted standards.
9. Supervising the Quality Culture related Campaigns launched by the faculty's teaching staff, employees, administrative specialists, and students.
10. Attending the sessions of the faculty council for demonstrating the activities and achievements of the Unit.
11. Participating in the conferences, seminars, workshops, and training courses conducted in the field of Development and Quality Assurance.
12. Proposing the disbursement of cash rewards and incentives for the employees of the Unit while submitting the related report to the faculty dean.
13. Submitting periodic reports for the board of directors illustrating the work development process in the Unit as per the vested tasks, sorting, and determining the obstacles & troubles that have been encountered.
14. The Unit's executive director does have the complete authorities required for processing the executive duties and tasks including the communication with the academic & administrative departments in the faculty within the limits of the powers and authorities authorized by the chairman of board of directors.
Duties and Obligations of the Deputy Executive Director of the Faculty's Quality Assurance Unit:-
The mentioned deputy executive director of the unit shall assume the responsibility of managing the affairs of the unit among which are the technical and administrative affairs in addition to having same powers and authorities granted to the executive director upon obtaining the authorization of the Unit's director.
Seventh Article: Powers and Authorities of the Board of Directors of Quality Assurance Unit:-
The Unit's board of directors shall be committed to ratify the policies, work programs and systems with a view to fulfilling the purposes of the Unit in the light of applying the quality strategy in both the faculty and university in consistence with the applicable laws and regulations as follows:
1. Setting the internal work system, determining the authorities and general description of the personnel.
2. Ratifying effective systems for ensuring good collaboration with the bodies competent with educational development activities, and quality assurance and accreditation system.
3. Reviewing the reports presented by the Unit's executive director.
4. Studying and reviewing the faculty's message, and vision as per the necessary developments and developing the work system for achieving the message of the faculty.
5. The board of directors shall hold one meeting per month upon the summoning of the Unit's chairman of board with view to discussing the work plan derived from the quality strategy adopted by the faculty in order to be approved in addition to providing necessary requirements entire necessary for application.
6. Supervising the financial rules that regulate the work of the Unit by the Unit's competent accountant in compliance with the general laws applicable at the university.
7. The Unit's board may specify the meetings' attendance allowance for the members according to the regulations adopted by the faculty.
8. The Unit's board may specify the value of the monthly compensation for the executive director, deputy executive director, personnel, and administrative specialists.
9. The Unit's board may – upon the proposal of the executive director – distribute incentive compensations over the personnel, and administrative specialists in consideration for their extraordinary efforts exerted for supporting the message of the Unit.
10. Approving the periodic reports presented for demonstrating the workflow in the Unit.
11. Approving the agreement contracts concluded with the contractors in the Unit.
12. Approving the administrative, financial, and technical regulations of the Unit.
13. Approving salaries and rewards of technicians, administrative specialists, and personnel of the unit in adherence to the regulations submitted by the board of the Unit.
14. Holding meetings, seminars, and conferences in collaboration with the other competent authorities inside or outside universities.
Eighth Article: Executive Team of the Quality Assurance Unit:-
The assistant members shall be appointed by virtue of renewable annual contracts after obtaining the consent of the chairman of board. The data of the team members shall be as follows:
A) Unit's Financial Accountant(s).
B) Unit's Secretary.
C) Statistician(s) & Data Collector(s)
Ninth Article: Executive Committees of the Quality Assurance Unit:-
The unit includes a number of sub-committees, each of which is assigned with performing certain activities upon consideration of the provisions of the internal regulations set by the University's Quality Assurance Center. The data of these committees is as following:
• Firstly: Institutional Capacity Appraisal Committee.
• Secondly: Educational Effectiveness Appraisal Committee.
• Thirdly: Questionnaires Insertion and Analysis Committee.
• Fourthly: Training Committee.
• Fifthly: Computer Software Technical Support Committee.
Tenth Article: Duties and Obligations of the Executive Committees of the Quality Assurance Unit and their directors:-
1. Following -Up the faculty's academic accreditation preparations procedures alongside with other required tasks.
2. Providing the necessary technical support for the academic departments with regard to quality requirements.
Heads and Coordinators of Departments Committee:-
1. Head of department assisted by the competent professors and the teaching staff members of the department are - hereby- committed to implement entire quality related requirements with its inclusive perspective through setting entire plans necessary for regulating work at lectures, workshops, laboratories, ensure well-utilization of the tools and equipment, efficiency of the workers, and technicians of the department for guaranteeing full benefit for the students' of both the bachelor degree and postgraduate stages adding to dignifying the roles played by the affiliating units.
2. Following –up the preparation of the curriculums and files of different courses of both the bachelor degree and postgraduate stages.
3. Following –up the preparation of the programs' files of both the bachelor degree and postgraduate stages.
4. Distributing and collecting survey forms of the teachings staff members and the students before delivering them to the director of the Quality Unit of the faculty.
5. Entry of the survey forms data to the computers, noting that the Quality Unit is to deliver the required data entry program.
6. Following-up the comments of the professors and illustrating the executive plan set for amending the curriculums or the performance in the event of verifying any remarks at the survey forms after being analyzed by the Quality Unit of the faculty.
7. Following –up the completion of the reports of the internal and external auditors for the syllabus, the comments of the professors, and the executive plan set for adding any required amendments to the curriculums or the exams' sheets.
8. Preparing a list including the training courses necessary to be conducted by each department at the beginning of each semester in relation to quality issues, and the names of the members who have been nominated to attend these courses so as for the Quality Unit director to prepare them.
9. Appointing academic team leader(s) (academic guide(s)/ adviser(s)) for each department.
10. Performing entire necessary corrective procedures for the remarks stated in the occupational satisfaction analysis of the teaching staff, and sending the names of the actual professors and lecturers responsible for teaching the courses to the Quality Unit at the beginning of each academic semester ( within a period not exceeding two weeks as of the beginning of studying in this semester).
11. and sending the names of the actual professors and lecturers responsible for teaching the courses to the Quality Unit at the beginning of each academic semester ( within a period not exceeding two weeks as of the beginning of studying in this semester) upon consideration of the following:
• Listing the names of the demonstrator, assistant lecturers, and professors.
• The names listed shall pertain–only – to the actual professors and lecturers responsible for teaching the courses to the Quality Unit; namely, the list shall include- the names of the professors or lecturers who are already conducting/giving lectures or trainings or laboratory sessions (the professors or lecturers known by students).
• The list of the names shall be sent via e-mail in the form of (Word or PDF or Excel).
• The sent list shall include the following data of each course: Course Code, Course Title, the class to which this course is taught, and names of actual professors or lecturers.
12. Distributing questionnaires (or their links) over the classes of the department while urging students to effective participation, receiving the final results of the curriculums –evaluation questionnaires, and delivering them to the competent professors.
13. Following –up the inclusion of the responses/comments to the troubles stated at the final results of these questionnaires in entire final course reports included at the course file, and sending the related reports to the Quality Unit.
14. Receiving entire department related complaints, and presenting them to the department board.
15. Following –up the existence of any responses to these complaints through the department's minutes, and sending the related reports to the Quality Unit.
16. Each member of the teaching staff shall assume the responsibility of supervising a number of 25 students (academic guide/ adviser).
17. Sending experience certificate of each member of the teaching staff (including the titles of the researches published within the last five years – the research projects).
18. Distributing and collecting survey forms of the teachings staff members and the students before delivering them to the director of the Quality Unit of the faculty after being filled in.
Teaching Staff and their Assistants:-
1. Preparing files and reports that are to be taught by them including the specification of the syllabus, students' evaluation of these syllabus, their reactions, exams' questions, exercises, model answers, model answers of students on each exam ( at least the answer of both the higher, average, and lower marks questions), title of the book of each course, amendments and reasons why they are being added to the syllabus, teaching schedule, comments and opinions of both internal and external reviewers about the syllabus and the exams.
2. Updating the experience certificate of each member of the teaching staff annually, sending them to the administration of the faculty so as to be uploaded at the electronic website, noting that each certificate shall be divided into: teaching experience, community services experience, consultancy experience, researches published locally or internationally, and the conferences been attended).
• Administration of the Exams' Committee:-
Preparing a unified form for the exams sheet and distributing them over entire departments for consideration.
Administration of the Control Committee:-
1. Confirmation of receiving the model answers of the exams' questions upon receiving the corrected exam sheets from the examiners.
2. Opining the control office on certain times so as to allow the e\internal and external reviewers to peruse the exams and collect the students' model answers.
Administration of the Faculty (Dean & Vice Deans):-
1. Following up and facilitating the tasks of the committees of the Quality Assurance Unit.
2. Collecting entire quality works related decrees, and meeting minutes periodically in one file so as to be delivered to the Quality Assurance Unit.
3. Following up the procedures taken by each department regarding the complaints of the educational process.
4. Taking entire required corrective procedures for resolving the complaints of the student, administrative body, and teaching staff while officially responding to them.
5. Following –up the complaints' funds, opening them once a month through a committee consisting of the faculty under- secretary for educational & students' affairs, sorting them, and setting the necessary report.
6. Preparing an annual students' guide that is to be updated and published.
Eleventh Article: Financial System adopted by the Quality Assurance Unit:-
• Disbursing the quality assurance incentives for the teaching staff, the assistant staff, and quality assurance groups.
• Incentives and rewards shall be specified as per the decision of the University Quality Assurance Center.
Twelfth Article: Validity of the Internal Regulation of the Quality Assurance Center Unit:-
The provisions of this regulation shall come into effect as of the date of its approval by the Faculty Council.